Thursday, May 25, 2006

King Happy

So, just about to wrap up another week. This has been an interesting week in a lot of ways... let's just say that I was able to talk a little about the email and why I found it offensive, but I can't say that that really changed the preference for the melanin-challenged portion of the Western population.

Anyhow, classes were good this week. Eerily good this week. I think my kids are a little stressed about their exams next week. The first day of their three day exam will be on Children's Day - what a way to celebrate your special day, math test. So, I think I will play some sort of review game and get them all cheery with the dreaded Chicken Dance.

Usually I ask my class the "How's it going?" question to start off the period. I have been getting lots of "very, very, very terrible" responses this week. One of my students, who named himself, "Happy King" said that he was feeling very sad and slumped down in his seat. He is usually a very cheery student who is always smiling. A little later, while checking group conversations, I asked him where his smile went and he said that he was too sad to smile.

I finished up my rounds and hopped back up onto the platform at the front of the classroom only to hear, "Teacher! Teacher! Look!" There was Happy King with a big purple smile drawn across his face (almost as big as the real smile that was now on his face) with highlighting marker nicely accented with a bright green Fu Manchu moustache and beard. I starting laughing and couldn't stop. I just couldn't look at him without laughing and whenever we looked at each other we would both just start cracking up. So, the kingdom is once again in good spirits as King Happy is now again the happy King.

No comments: