Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Best 24 Minutes on C-SPAN

Hey -

Check out Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert at The White House Correspondents Dinner. Pure gold!



If this doesn't work for you (or loads too slowly) go to: http://www.c-span.org/, scroll down to the "Video/Audio" section and click on "Comedian Stephen Colbert at White House Correspondents' Dinner (4/29/2006)"

Here's a few gems from his speech:

On Iraq: "I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

On Cheney's hunting incident: "To sit here at the same table with my hero, George W. Bush...I feel like I'm dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You now what, I'm a pretty sound sleeper, that may not be enough...Somebody shoot me in the face."

On the press response to the White House shake-up and the metaphor of "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic": "This administration is soaring, not sinking...If anything, they are re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg."

On Bush's response to disasters: "I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers, and rubble, and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."

On Bush's response to global warming: "[Talking to Jesse Jackson] is like boxing a glacier...Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."

Check it out!

1 comment:

TheUnsinkableMB said...

Thank you so much for sending that my way! Matt and I have watched it about daily since!