Tuesday, May 30, 2006

English Humor

Hello again!

So, this week my senior students are learning about English humor. Matt and I looked through their book and determined that the lesson was, well, super lame. I mean we weren't familiar with the jokes, nor were they funny. So, we prepared some jokes, puns, tongue twister and riddles for the students.

The joke that my class like the best was:

A woman got on a bus, holding a baby.
The bus driver said, "That's the ugliest baby I've ever seen."
In a huff, the woman slammed her fare into the fare box and took an aisle seat near the rear of the bus.
The man seated next to her sensed that she was agitated and asked her what was wrong.
"The bus driver insulted me," she fumed.
The man sympathized and said, "Why, he's a public servant and shouldn't say things to insult passengers."
"You're right," she said. "I think I'll go back up there and give him a piece of my mind."
"That's a good idea," the man said. "Here, let me hold your monkey."

It was really funny to watch them "get" the joke. It was like a wave swept through he classroom and left in its wake a bunch of children laughing.

The other joke they really liked was:

One day a student was taking a very difficult exam. At the end of the exam, the teacher asked all the students to put their pencils down and immediately give him their tests. The young man kept writing furiously, although he was told that if he did not stop immediately he would fail. He ignored the warning, finished the test 10
minutes later, and went to hand the test to his teacher. The teacher told him he would not take the test.

The student asked, "Do you know who I am?"
The teacher said, "No and I don't care."
The student asked again, "Are you sure you don't know who I am?"

The teacher again said no. So the student walked over to the pile of tests, placed his in the middle, then threw the papers in the air.

"Good" the student said, and walked out. He passed.

I think they got a kick out of that one because they have exams coming up.

Anyhow, another short week for me as the junior school has exams. So, until next time, my dear readers.

No comments: