Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Thank God It's...CHRISTMAS!!!

Picture it. It's Christmas Day. The school is taking us out to dinner. They have been a little evasive as to where we are going to go. They cancel one of Matt's classes at the last moment so he is able to attend the special dinner. But where are we going?

Now mind you, my only other experience with Chinese dinners with administrators have not been the most enjoyable of experiences because of all of the drinking and drinking games, so you can understand my suspicions, even though this is Beijing. I mean, I still pause, cringe and do a cleansing breath every time the phone rings.

So, anyhow, we all loaded into a bus and take off. We drove past a Domino's Pizza (yeah, there's a Domino's Pizza in Beijing) and eventually we pulled into the Friendship Hotel parking lot. We heard our waiban's cheery, "We're here!" and we looked out to see a welcoming, familiar sign glowing in the darkness. Yup, our Christmas dinner would be at...TGI Friday's!!! Woohoo!!! We are all stunned. I want to cry a little bit, but I was just too shocked to muster up the tears. Friday's. Friday's! Did you hear me? FREAKIN' FRIDAY'S!!! Mmmmmmm....

Needless to say we were all really super excited about this special treat (well at least the Americans were, the British guy and the Japanese pair weren't as excited at this specimen of American chain cuisine). Walking into the restaurant was like leaving China for a little bit - that is if you don't really look at the other patrons or waitstaff.

Ahhh...GOOD FOOD!!! I had the BBQ ribs. Full rack, baby! I couldn't eat all of it so, I shared and had enough to take home a little sampler for lunch the next day. Also, appetizers. Oh, mozzarella sticks, potato skins, buffalo wings.... I don't think that the Chinese people were as impressed with the food, but we did make them order the comically large drinks. It was quite amusing to watch our waiban holding (with both hands) her very large Long Island Iced Tea.

Anyhow, the dinner was great and the atmosphere was definitely merry. It was probably the best present the university could have given us! Thank you USTB!

No comments: