Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Listen with your ears, not your eyes

Sorry blog readers, but I just have not been feeling much like posting these days. My life in Beijing isn't very exciting. I go teach. I go to the recording studio. Nothing much more than that.

Ummm...one of my night class students defected from my class because of my "Asian pronunciation" and went to Matt's class. He approached Matt about it and mentioned that he thought that there was some sort of thing on the genetic level that makes Asian people unable to pronounce English words properly. HA! I am tired of that thinking. Matt addressed that right away and told him that he was wrong and that he is listening with his eyes, not ears. Makes me feel better, but I still am just tired about the stereotyping. The student has since came back to my class, but it really just frustrates me, not being seen/called a "real American" or that I can't speak English as well as the while people.

In the meanwhile I am the #1 voice for English recordings in this area. All of those poor school children will have to make do with my poor English and my "Asian" pronunciation. Egads!

So, I guess that is all for right now. Hopefully I will have some more interesting things to post sometime. I will leave you with my favorite recorded dialogue line of the week:

Look! The Chinese child laborers are working very hard!

No comments: