Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Fa-Ra-Ra and Sumpity, Sump, Sump

I know that it isn't nice to make fun of my students' pronunciation problems, but I just can't help it! I have been teaching Christmas carols this week and, well, I have been taken down by fits of giggles in almost every class. I can't help it it's funny!

So, y'know in the movie "A Christmas Story" when the Chinese cooks are singing? Well, it was kinda like that. It was funny in the movie, but, like, thousands of times more funny to have a room of 40-60 kids doing it in unison in real life! The hilarity of it all never really got old for me.

The sounds that always seem to cause problems are: "th" and the "l" when it is embedded in a word (like the word "usually" - I spent 20 minutes drilling that one once). First we would go through vocab and then listen to the song, then go at it line by line. Often we would end the song all laughing at some of the pronunciation attempts it was good fun for all of us. You can just imagine the result of "Feliz Navidad"!

So, Christmas cheer definitely swept through my little area in China, but this year the halls were decked with balls of "hawry" and Frosty went Sumpity, sump, sump over the hills of snow!

No comments: