Sunday, July 30, 2006

:-P

Yes, this is the second post that I have started with an emoticon. No, I am not ashamed.

So, Matt and I are in Lhasa and I gotta tell you, I gotta tell you that it is pretty damn cool here and I already LOVE it here. The western side of the city pretty much looks like a Chinese city anywhere, but once you go over to the east side - it is a whole new world. I will have to tip-toe around certain political issues here - and if you post a comment, best not to voice your personal feelings about this area. You can probably guess what my feelings about it are - the eastern side doesn't really feel like you are even in China (ahem, ahem, wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and it is really refreshing.

I just can't even begin to describe how cool it is here. We wound up flying - sort of wussed out but, no one seemed to know what was going on with the train situation and we didn't want to wait around longer until someone did. Yes, true, we could have jumped a bus from Golmud. But we would have to first get to Golmud and pay just as much to travel from there on a bus. So, flying. We have never regretted flying. Clean and fast. Oooh, baby! So nice!

We arrived and hopped an airport bus to the city. The landscape was beautiful on the way from the airport - the clouds seemed so low. The bus drove by the Potala Palace - the winter residence to a number of the Dali Lamas. I have to say that it is one of the coolest buildings I have ever seen! I will try to snap some pictures, but I don't think that they will do it justice.

We actually lucked out and found a hotel (with some help) and the room is very nice. Because of the train, hotels are really booked up. We grabbed a great dinner at a really relaxing place and explored the Barkhor Market after. The scene was really something else! Both sides of the marketplace were lined with stalls and stores. The Barkhor is also one of the "koras" - pilgrimage paths. So we followed the worshippers around the path - the worshippers were praying and reciting mantras while fingering beads or spinning a prayer rattle. Some were prostrating the entire stretch of the path. There were all kinds of interesting people to look at. The people don't look anything like the people we have seen elsewhere in China. I just don't have the vocabulary to describe the scene right now - I am fairly tired.

So,we both are really excited to be here and are looking forward to some more exploration. The altitude isn't really bothering us yet, but I guess the effects can take up to 24 hours before you really get symptoms.

Oh,the emoticon - I was reading that a common greeting in the countryside is to stick out your tongue. This is to determine who is a human and who is a demon. Demons will have a green tongue even when they are in a human form.

Okay, so that is all for now, but I will write more later after some good shut eye.

No comments: