Thursday, July 20, 2006

Killing Time

Our plane doesn't leave until about 11:30 PM tonight. Yes, I did say PLANE! I have decided that I love - LOVE flying! Now, don't get me wrong, the trains are nice and all, but can still be a bit of a hassle when you need to fight for space to put your bag. Plus, I like going to sleep without chicken feet next to my head.

We have had a great time in Dunhuang (post bus ride)! The first major site we went to see were the Mogao caves (thanks for the tip Anajli!). The morning we were looking to head out was rainy. We were told that the bus going out to the caves would not be running because of the rain, and to try back at 1 PM. We didn't think that rain would really matter because the Mogao caves are actual caves you enter with flashlight to look at the paintings and statues. So, we eat. At the cafe, we meet a really friendly German couple and decide to share a taxi out to the caves.

Once there, we found out that yes, the caves were in fact closed due to rain. They told us to check out the little on site museum and check back in about an hour. An hour later, still closed. Later still - we see the Germans in line and they excitedly point to the window and say, "tickets!" We get in line and purchase our chance to see the glorious caverns (with guide) with our new German travel friends.

The caves did not allow us to bring in our cameras, but I wouldn't have taken pictures anyhow (would need flash). I can't even begin to describe just how incredible awesome the caves were! The other big Buddha things that we have seen else where in China were not this awe inspiring. Truly amazing. I will try to send some postcards out sometime....

Okay, I won't go into too much detail, but it is definitely one of the best sites I have seen here in China and worth a visit if you come out this way.

The other big thing we did while out here was visit the singing sands of the Mingsha Shan dunes. I love the desert! The dunes were so beautiful! We went on the touristy camel ride and I was lucky to ride on a very docile, mild-mannered camel. However, something did spook my camel and it did a little run-jump thing and scared the bejeezus out of the little girl ahead of me who started to whine in fear. On the way up the dune, the picture booth kinda ruined the effect for me - a guy in a cowboy hat trying to get us to smile. From his truck, "We Will Rock You" blaring from a half working speaker.

Anyhow, we got off of the camels near the crescent moon lake, which is really not that spectacular, and hiked up one of the dunes. The view was amazing! The dunes were so beautiful and the sand felt great on my feet. We got to the top and waited for the sun to set (see the obscene number of pictures I took on my flickr site). Meanwhile, we got, well, stupid (was it the sand? height? admission price?) and were "comrade posing" (and *shudder* Chinese girl posing) on top of the dune. A group of kids saw Matt striking a particularly good comrade pose and got a huge kick out of it and did some similar posing of their own.

The sunset was spectacular! My pictures just don't capture the brilliance of the colors and the way the sand reflected the sun light. Cool. Seriously Cool.

Anyhow, now we wait. I load pictures and wait.

No comments: