Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ramblings by Matt

I didn't want you to miss Matt's latest post:

Little Buddhist Dogs Attacked Me

Today we visted Ta'er Si, one of the most important Tibetan monastaries in Qinghai. We spent the afternoon meandering around and I managed to meander into a courtyard next to the yak butter sculptures that was apparently off limits.

Usually, it is fairly comical to see little dogs attempt to ward off intruders. They bark, twirl, do backflips, whatever. As it was this time. But they were emboldened by their numbers.

Of course, it didn't actually strike me that I should be concerned when these five little lap ornaments drew near. Afterall, we were in a holy place and their master was probably some revered holy man. This was not a place of violence. And, they were little.

Then one bit me. Right on the lower calf.

Which places one in a predicament in a venerated monastary. Is it okay to kick a dog in self-defense? How about scaring them? Is it permissible to bark back? Or growl? How stupid am I willing to look?

And, given that they were buddhist dogs, were they really dogs? Was this actually some errant holy man from a past life now, literally, nipping at my heels.

Unlike them, I chose the peaceful path and walked out of the courtyard. They followed, but then I reached the steps. It was a pretty steep first step.

So, I didn't get to see what was inside the buildings next to the courtyard. However, I'd like to think I earned some good karma in the process.

And I'd like to think that the dog that bit me will soon be a cat.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I encountered several dogs like that in Italy. when I was studying there and our group was in Pompeii, these dogs would come out of now where and accompany us everywhere we went for the four days we were there. When any of the local men would bother us, they would bark and chase them away.

i hope Matt is okay and didn't get bit.

By the way, I spent all night reading your blog and getting caught up in your adventures.