Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hopeless

So, Beijing is like the land of plenty when it comes to imported food. Now, mind you we can't get EVERYTHING, so we still love the care packages, but compared to what we were able to get in Guyuan, we're rolling in food wealth!

The local shop really close by is called, My Shop. They have a nice variety of food, that is keeping me well stocked with Dr. Pepper and granola bars. A little while back they started carrying a very exciting new item, Queso Dip. Not just any queso dip but a name brand cheese dip (name brand meaning that I recognize it).

I have found that my relationship with this particular food product almost borders on obsession. One time, I bought 6 jars of it at the same time just because if they sold out, I wanted to have my little stock, safe at home. But the problem is that I don't want to eat it right away. Because what if I crack open the jar, consume and then can't buy more? But at the same time the cheesy draw is just such that I can't quite keep away from it. So it is always on the brain. I think about during class. I think about it while walking around. I think about it when I am eating other food - "stupid, sweet and sour pork! You could be tangy, creamy cheese dip right now!"

So, the hoarding is a little pack rat-ish and the mental obsession is a little bit Smeagol-ish, but one of the worst things is that one the safety button is popped, there is no hope for the contents of the jar lasting the week in our household. It's like you just start to eat it and can't and don't want to stop. It's just too good! One time when I was eating some with Matt we just both couldn't control ourselves - granted this was the first jar opened post-discovery and I wound up eating it a little too far past the point of the cheese sicks. In the rare event that we are able to hold off full consumption, it goes in the fridge. Then I speaks to us. "Moooooly!!! Moooooooly!!! How about just a little taste? A little taste won't hurt you. Don't you like me anymore? Just take a peak, just to make sure Matt didn't gobble me up in the middle of the night...." NOOOOOOO cheese dip, NOOOOOOO!!! You will not trick me again this time!

They might as well just rename it cheese crack. Once all of the zesty goodness is on tortilla chip, I am just so focused on getting it in my mouth the rest of the world just drips away. And when the jar is gone, I feel a little sad and wired and I can't help but think about getting my next dose.

I'm thinking about it right now.

I can't stop.

Mmmmmmmmm...cheese dip.

*drool*

3 comments:

Babs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babs said...

Molly,
You and the cheese dip! Do you need someone to send you straws? Or do they have straws there at the shop? I think you need them so you can suck down this golden heaven faster!

Your description of your lust for dairy products makes me think you are having a love affair than burns deep! Do you find yourself googling the word “cheese” just to look at the images?

Okay I've gone too far....

p.s. The “big daddy” is coming to town in May – I’m going to see him for all 3 days he is here!

p.p.s. This is Barbara from the Guild.