Tuesday, October 24, 2006

MKB - Recording Supastar!

Part 3, 1:

W: Let's go see the elephants, Bill. I like elephants they are cute and clever!
M: No, I don't like elephants. I think they are ugly.
W: Oh, Bill! What would you like to see?
M: I like pandas, I think they are cute and friendly!
W: I love pandas! I think they are cute and shy.
Q: What does Bill like?

Text 2: I like elevators. We owe a lot of our city's success to elevators. It it weren't for elevators, we would not be able to have such tall buildings....

on and on and on for hours!

Yup, you are looking at one of the newest voices on English tapes to be distributed to schools throughout China! Awesome. I guess that this guy has been working with VIA volunteers for the past five years or so, so one day he just called the apartment and asked if I was the new American VIA volunteer.

So, I went down for a voice check and have been called back several times to record those delightful English dialogues riddled with mistakes. I have a good time doing it even if the sessions drag. I guess that he had had trouble getting good female voices because many are too high pitched and not throaty enough. Lucky me and my throaty (increasingly so with the lovely Beijing air) neutral American accent!

I don't know if I will ever be able to get a copy of my recording work, but if I do, rest assured, you will all get copies of my dialogue brilliance!

No comments: