Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Defending Lady Day

So, 30. Rock on! I didn't tear it up or anything over my birthday, but hopefully will be able to do some things this weekend. I did get to go to a great, new Indian buffet with Matt, Adam and Naree and that was good. I stuffed my face with pakora and had my birthday kheer. So, all good. Didn't really do much anything else though. Saturday was kinda grey and Matt and I were BUSY with class stuff all weekend. So, we postponed birthday activities.

Anyhow, teaching has been going better. My Yan Qing Monday is getting a little better. The combination of kicking kids out of class and making sure they understand that attendance is not required, has cut some of the classes down a little bit to the people who want to be there. Even if it just a few people missing, those are usually the ones who are causing the problems.

So, I have been doing a series of lectures related to racism and the Civil Rights era in the United States. The most recent lecture was on songs of protest - past and present. One of the songs that I shared with them was "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday (if you have not heard this song, please do! It will give you chills). She has a very distinctive voice and I have loved listening to her for many, many years. But not something that my kids were used to hearing, so they laughed. A lot. Yeesh. So, I had to school them. I can't force them to like her music, but I can try to get them to appreciate the artist. Anyhow, who are they to judge, have you heard Beijing Opera?

Now I just have to find some more pictures of people being lynched to drive it home. The shock tactic seems to work well with those kids. But I am happy that they have at least attempted to do the homework that I have given them and even happier that some of them are choosing not to come to class.

Anyhow, not much else going on. I have started my time with Hui Ling. I think that will be good. I don't know if I will be able to do exactly what I would like to do with them, but I'll try. If any of you have any good ideas for craft/art projects that don't involve the use of sharp objects, please let me know!

So, I will be throwing some other random things up soon, so keep checking back in!

No comments: