Monday, October 29, 2007

Chinchilla Paging

Last night my chinchillas paged me.

They aren't the most vocal of creatures, but they do have little sounds that they occasionally make. One of the sounds that I hear every now and then is for companionship. It is a little chirpy/chugging kind of sound. Usually when I hear it, it means that they want something.

When I was in MN, they would make this little sound and I would go in to check on them and pat them on their little heads. Happy chinchillas. Sometimes they just want treats and will make their little noise until they get their greedy little hands on a cube of papaya or alfalfa ring.

I usually check on them before I go to sleep. But the other night I neglected to do so. So I had just settled in to go to sleep when I hear their the call. I thought that they would stop. Nope. Chugging, chugging, chugging. They are both calling. Finally, I get up and check to see what they want. It seems that they just wanted to play. I let them poke their head out of the door and scratched behind their ears and closed them back up for the night. Back in bed and time to go to sleep.

Apparently not quite satisfied with the little chinnie massage they both start to chirp again and once again they just won't stop. I get back up and go into their room. They are both waiting for me by their cage door. I go in and try to give them a bribe. No go. They weren't interested in treats. They just want to play or something. So, we played a little chase game they like and I went back to bed. 10 minutes later they both start chugging again. This time they also wake Matt up. They normally don't make so much noise. So, again I went into their room and they were back at their door eager for my to play with them. This time I just decided to sleep on the floor next to their cage to quiet them down for the night. So, I curled up on the floor and listened to them bubble and coo for a little bit before I drifted off to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I woke to find both of my little girls fast asleep right next to me on the floor of their cage. I guess they were just lonely.

No comments: