Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Roast beef

Okay, Monday down, um...Thursday left to go?

Yeah, that is the hard life that I am living over here in Zhong Guo. I work 2 days a week. Well, I have a night class on Wednesday, but I basically have the whole day open until 7 PM.

So, today was the Yan Qing day. It didn't start out the best. Our bus driver hit a dog. Inauspicious especially during the year of the dog. But, then again, there were all of those people forced to kill their dogs here just a little while ago.

Anyhow, so after the dog incident, I was last getting off of the bus and I managed to kind of boff it on the stairs. Yeah, me and stairs, can you believe it!?! (Rolling eyes) So, stairs are a challenge for me in and of themselves, but I don't know how I wound up kinda sliding/skidding down the stairs, ultimately winding up in a very awkward position with my left leg kinda up. What happened next you ask? Well, let's just say that the little piggy who was supposed to have roast beef couldn't because he and two of his already hurt friends were stuck in a bus door! Yup. That's right, I got my toes stuck IN the bus AND I couldn't get them out. The bus driver had to shut off the bus, push the open button and then manually pry the doors apart so I could rescue my poor little piggies. Oh, poor piggies! If they weren't broken before, you most certainly are now. Oh well, at least I have some days off and can keep my little toes safe, maybe. My day to day activity has been rather harsh on them lately.

But, my general stance on any medical care has been NO DOCTORS IN CHINA!!! I'll just deal with it on my own.

So, one of my classes went a little better today. They really liked the tongue twister challenge and the slang exchange. But I think that keeping them motivated will be tricky. The momentum seems to die out pretty quickly. But the other class...oh geez! I have never had a kid mouth off to me before until today. I had a girl who volunteered pick the next person, so she did and I asked him to speak. He looked at me and snottily said, "Why?" This was immediately answered with a very terse reply from the teacher (me), he them had the gall to tell me that he didn't want to and didn't think that he should have to do it. Yeah. That didn't fly. Let's just say that it was "handled" and things just didn't really improve from there. MP3 players and cell phones had to be confiscated, ugh! Basically at the end of the class I told the class not to waste my time and the time of the students who were there to learn and if they were not going to participate in class and only cause trouble, I didn't want them there.

Sooo, we'll see how things go after vacation.

Cross you fingers for us - we will hopefully be on our way to Mongolia this weekend!

Things to look forward to: some sort of invading Mongolian horde on horseback type of pictures, Kyung Kahn, Molly in Beloit pretending to be a white male (Roy Chapman Andrews - dude, he has a dinosaur named after him! I mean, a dinosaur, man! C'mon, that's seriously cool.)

No comments: