Thursday, November 10, 2005

Lovin' till it Hurts

Just a quickie -

I was thinking about an incident with my kids from the other day that was pretty funny.

I share my office with the other junior English teachers. Between classes the kids have about 10 minutes to unwind from the previous lesson. Usually, they go to the offices to ask questions or get additional help. The English teachers are all very good, but are really strict with the kids - many a time I have seen a little kid reduced to tears by one of them. They speak really quite briskly and sternly with the little ones.

So, yesterday, one of the teachers was kinda "Chinese" yelling at one of the kids and whipping her paper with a metal pointer. The girl was getting really upset. Meanwhile the line of students at that teacher's desk was getting really long. Suddenly, the teacher bellowed out for all of the kids to wait in the hall and she would call them in when she was ready. So all of the kids moved.

The children I teach are all very sweet and friendly. From the doorway there was a group of 6 boys that were waving to me (I had just seen them I little earlier in the day), smiling and mouthing "Hello, Ms. Molly/Brown". Whenever one of the Chinese teachers would look over they would duck out of sight. Then they would slowly creep back and do it again.

This went on for a couple of minutes and I was getting a kick out of them. The next time I looked over at them all six of the boys started to hug each other and were giggling. The longer I looked, the more intense the hugging and giggling became. Then the coordination problem - they attempted a big group hug while trying to wave to me at the same time and they all fell down!

The English teachers yelled a little at them for creating such a ruckus and they all scampered off to class. As soon as they left and the office door was closed, all of the teachers just cracked up and couldn't stop laughing.

No comments: