Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I Do Not Like Green Egg and Ham...

But I love my little student named Sam. Sam is HILARIOUS! He is like the poster child for hyperactivity. I bet his parents are glad that I am here because I wear him out before he gets home. He's kind of like a puppy.

Last week, I wrote a little note on his paper (I write notes in bahasa so they can't understand). He asked me what it meant and I wouldn't tell him. At the end of class he kept on asking and asking and I wouldn't tell him. All of a sudden he unleashed a huge scream and ran out of the room and pouted in the hallway. Luckily, by the time we were to go home, he had forgotten about it and pranced with us all the way home.

Today in class I had the kids re-enact a scene with a thief, 2 witnesses and a police person. Sam really wanted to be the thief, but another boy in his group wound up getting it. So, Sam screams. Next, they present their version of the scene. The thief is fingered by the witnesses with a "Oh my god! Thief! Thief! Thief! Help! Police!" Sam (the policeman) came in saying "don't worry, I'll take care of him". So, Sam pulls down the thief's pants down and tackles him to the floor. Oh, Sam!

Also, we were thinking of different things people could do. Singing, eating, blah, blah, blah. Sam raised his hand, nicely and exclaimed, "Dancing, teacher Molly! Dancing! You know..." then proceeded to do a little strange hula dance while singing.

Okay, so now the walk home. I walk home with the same group of boys every Tuesday at the lunch break. It takes about 15 minutes from school to my apartment. In that time Sam managed to pants 9 kids. Run up and down the block 3 times. Run, skip and dance around me and two other boys about 26 times. He decided that he wanted to look in my bag and carry it for me. He tugged on my sleeve and said, "teacher, wo yao kan kan" (teacher, I want to have a look). So I let him have my bag. He puts the straps over his head and uses it like a feed bag for a horse. He trots around us making noises. Then he has us all stop so he can sing a little song and do a little wiggle dance. Then for the rest of the way he was jumping up and down saying, "Teacher! Teacher! He is a Horse Tiger! Horse Tiger! Horse Tiger!" Then he would circle around me skipping and running while singing "horse tiger, horse tiger!" My, oh my.

What will I do in Beijing without all of this entertainment?

Also, congratulations to the fabulous Sarah Goldfarb back from Europe with more than just vacation photos (nice rock, girl!) Best wishes and I want details!

No comments: