Thursday, February 15, 2007

Side Thought - Bringing Memories Home

While we were looking at the various curio stores and street side vendor stalls in Vietnam we would inevitably find some dog tags. It was really creepy. Because most likely they got the tags or copies of the tags off of dead US soldiers. I didn't feel right buying them so I didn't. Sifting through bowls and bowls of dog tags.

Now I wish that I had.

I wish that I had bought every single tag I could have laid my hands on just to honor the memory of a US soldier who served in Vietnam. I would have brought them back to the US and back to DC. To at least bring home the memory of someone who served the great nation (with all of its good points and bad) I call home.

I guess I have another reason to go back to Vietnam, anyone want to join me?

No comments: